Dr Craig Douglas came down to take us through aortic dissection, a rare but potentially fatal diagnosis. We discuss who gets it, why they get it, how it presents and what we can do about it.
- The presentation of aortic dissection including 'Chest Pain Plus One' - Abdominal pain, Collapse, Neurological Symptoms, Syncope and Vascular Symptoms
- The risk factors for aortic dissection and the Stanford Classification
- What investigations might make us suspicious for aortic dissection including the chest radiograph features and the role of synchronous blood pressures in both arms
- The management of aortic dissection
- Potential future risk stratification
Also check out the RCEM Learning Aortic Dissection page
For a slightly franker take on aortic dissection here is David Carr's talk on 'The Aorta will %$#@!& You Up' from SMACCDUB 2016.
Here is our Take Visually for this episode: